impact and innovation
- Improvement in the capability, including through miniaturisation and power reduction, precision, efficiency or other characteristics with respect to existing Earth observation missions, opening new avenues for future space systems.
- Substantial improvement in state-of-the-art technologies in key areas such as optical and radar systems in terms of processing, compression, storage and transmission.
- Enabling synergic use of heterogeneous Earth Observation constellations.
- Greater industrial relevance of research actions and output as demonstrated by deeper involvement of industry, including SMEs, and stronger take-up of research results.
- Foster links between academia and industry.
- Strengthening Europe’s position in industrial competitiveness in technologies for Earth observation payloads and missions.
high speed data chain
A high-speed data chain making it possible to equip small EO satellites with compact high-end payload data processing and high data rate wireless communication. Those improvements regarding the data rate, processing performance, size, weight and flexibility will be realized with novel HW elements and creative scalable architectures for hardware design as well as smart and generic SW algorithm.
S4Pro will provide the possibility to process data using complex algorithms that today must be run on ground due to HW/SW limitations. On-board data processing before transmission reduces downloading time and saves memory space on board. Moreover, application processing could be done directly on board to generate an almost complete product before download.
Embedded software library
High-performance (self-tuning), processor-agnostic embedded software library for parallel signal and image processing routines with respect to present and future mission scenarios.
Optimised HW and SW
Optimized HW/SW data compression and data-chain transmission, as well as improved memory storage, required for an effective reduction of data to be transferred thus overcoming typical bottlenecks in the routing of the generated information. Other hardware includes: New mass memory modules, Many port serial link based communication backbone, Flexible HW-SW-System for mixed criticality tasks, Miniaturized High-Speed transceiver.
Generic High-Performance SDR
S4Pro will provide the foundations on which to build a generic product, able to handle all the data links encountered by a small satellite part of a constellation, both inter-satellite and satellite to ground. As a demonstration of its flexibility, this SDR will be inter-operable with RF or optical front-ends.
Hardware and Software modules as enabler for high bandwidth transmissions for nano- and small satellites. This capability is seen by many stakeholders as a key enabling element for the next generation of EO satellites.
A Software toolchain to support multiple advancing communication standards (CCSDS and DDS).
Business and organisational models
S4Pro will enhance collaboration with associated countries (Tunisia) and therefore contribute to the harmonisation of working methods and teaching methods. This intercultural collaboration will not only contribute to knowledge transfer but will contribute to the establishment of new partnerships and exchanges beyond the borders of Europe.